Posts from the Past

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Evelyn is 3 years old!

Pictures in the hospital from the day Evelyn was born! 

            Evelyn is 3 years old! It seems so big and still so little at the same time :) We celebrated multiple times for the big occasion. Grandma Linda and Grandpa Tom stopped by the weekend before Evelyn's birthday and brought some presents. Grandma knows just what Evelyn likes and she was so happy to see them! I love it because Evelyn definitely knows to go to the Grandma's if she wants something - but she has a special place in her heart for her silly Grandpa's!




The night before her birthday she assisted me in making cupcakes to take to school.  She calls them 'pupcakes' and I don't correct her :)  We got some edible Toy Story 3 stickers to decorate the pupcakes with and apparently they were a hit!  That night Evelyn got to blow out her candles and we ate a couple of cupcakes that I saved.  She also got to open her presents from us.  We have never gotten her anything before.  I know it is probably weird - but this is the first year she actually knows what is going on.   It was so fun for her to be aware that it was HER day and that we picked out presents just for her!  The highlight of her gifts were a Woody T-shirt and a Buzz Lightyear watch from Toy Story.  She also got a bunch of colorful socks and t-shirts.  The most fun part of her birthday for me was that she knew she was no longer 2 - but 3 years old.  Again, I am amazed by how aware of things she is and how smart she is!

It has become a tradition to celebrate my Uncle Dave and Evelyn's birthday together at my parents house.  Grandma Ruth had a blast running with the 'Tinkerbell' theme.  I wonder if that is Uncle Dave's favorite too? :)  Uncle Andrew and Aunt Erica along with our favorite non-family member Mena and her daughter Gina were there too.  Evelyn LOVED all the attention.  The meal consisted of Ev's favorites -- Pigs-in-a-blanket and Macaroni and Cheese.  

Three has come with a lot of new skills and some regression on old skills we thought she had mastered. 

Evelyn has recently been able to get herself totally dressed.  Socks, underpants and pants she has had down for a while.  And we used to have to help her figure out which way the pants went on.  She can now get head-to-toe dressed in the morning.  I only need to help with shoes and ponies.  It is so convenient!  She can also follow multiple-step directions.  I have been working on this a while - but I can say do XYZ and she will do all three things that I ask.  She continues to be very polite (most of the time)  I love when she automatically says 'Please and Thank-You'  but even more I love when she asks to use the 'restroom' instead of a variety of other not so tasteful descriptions.  She also will randomly thank us for something that happened earlier in the day or say that she loves us.  The warm fuzzies are great I have to admit!!!  She can write some letters and shapes.  Of course, 'E' is her favorite.  She can also write 'F' ,'O' ,'M', 'L' and 'V'.  She can draw circles and lines and loves to draw pictures of our friends and family.  I need to scan some to post here!

She has regressed in using the restroom lately.  She often needs help and has been having more accidents then ever!  I don't know if it is because Joseph is around or it is no longer a novelty and she totally forgets until it is too late.  I am not worried about it - it is just frustrating when she had been doing it on her own since at least Christmas!  She also is developing more of her personality.  On the positive side she is a perfectionist and will something the exact way that you ask.  On the flip side - if anyone does something 'wrong' - she gets mad.  I know at school she thinks she is the boss of the kids and if they aren't following orders she will get mad and sometimes will hit.  I like to think of her as Robin Hood - she is doing good by thinking she is helping to correct their behavior - but does it in a bad way (steal from the rich to give to the poor)  I really try hard not to make excuses for her - but Sister has assured me that she is NOT a bully and never hits just to hit - it is her being bossy.  Hopefully she can learn to control this.  When I talk to her about it she knows she should 'walk away' - but I know in the heat of the moment it is hard to remember!
All in all - we feel so blessed to have Miss Evelyn in our lives and continue to try to cherish every precious moment!

No comments:

Post a Comment